Start Layer Poultry Farm Guide: Poultry farming is the process of raising or domesticating the birds like Chickens, ducks, turkeys, commonly and widely used birds are chickens. Everyone will have a question, how to start chicken farming in India. However by the information given below everyone feels easy to establish a chicken/poultry Layer farming in India. Poultry Farming is the process of rearing Poultry Birds for the commercial use of Meat and Eggs.
How to Start Poultry Layer Chicken Farming Business in India Posted on seekinfo
Poultry farming of chickens is known as chicken poultry farming. Chickens which are raised and domesticated for the purpose of meat production are known as Layers and chickens which are raised and domesticated for the purpose of egg production are known as layers.
Poultry/Chicken Farming Industry in India:
- As compared to any other agriculture segment in India, Poultry farming business is the fastest growing sector. When compared to the production of agricultural crops which has been increasing at a rate of 1.5% to 2% per annum, the production of Layer chicken and egg production is increasing at a rate of 8% to 10% per annum.
- India ranked 8th worldwide in Layer chicken production and 5th in egg production. Keeping in view of all these factors, there are huge scope and demand for the establishment of a poultry farming business in India.
- In the view of this emerging scenario, questions are being raised in every mind regarding How to establish poultry farm in India, what are the climate and weather conditions required for establishment of poultry farming in India, how will be the output, how to maintain a poultry farm.
Structure of Poultry Farming Business: However, the structure for establishing a poultry farming business varies from region to region and area to area.
Advantages of Layer Chicken Farming:
- The poultry sector has undergone a spectacular shift in structure and operation in India.
- The other important aspect of poultry development in India is the significant variation in the industry across different areas.
- Commercial poultry farming business is creating a profitable business opportunity for enthusiastic entrepreneurs.
- There is a great demand for all the poultry products in India.
- It’s easy to get bank loans sanctioned nowadays.
- Egg and meat production are the major products of the poultry sector in India.
- Small-scale business producers are considering for bulk production of the poultry outputs.
- The demand for table eggs and Layer meat has a huge demand in the Indian market.
- Growing tendency of the poultry farming is increasing.
- Many interesting facts have been revealed by an analysis conducted by National Sample Survey (NSS) like 42 percent of the Indian households are vegetarians and the remaining 68% are non-vegetarians.
- Export of chicken poultry farm products has been increased four times since ten years.
- In India, around 1.6 million people are employed in this poultry farming sectors directly and indirectly.
Types of Layer Poultry/Chicken Farm Business:
- Layer poultry farming
- Layer chicken farming
- Country chicken farming
How to Start Layer Poultry Farm Guide in India:
Chickens which are raised for the production of Eggs are known as Layers. Poultry farming of Layers is known as Layer poultry farming. The Layer is a tender young chicken that weighs around 30-50 gms from hatching and weighs up to 2-2.5 kg in 40-45 days.
Layer chicken farming in India has well developed in the recent past as people from villages towns and cities are preferring chicken meat in their day to day life. To establish a good industrial venture for chicken farming business the below-mentioned criteria are to be considered for better margins of income. You should keep the below point before you Start Layer Poultry Farm.
- Selection of site Selection of site plays a major role in Layer poultry farming.
- The land area should have a sufficient space
- The site should be far from Industrial and air polluted areas.
- The site should have easy access to the nearby market yard.
- There should be proper transportation facilities.
- The site selected should be over a high elevated above the sea level in order to overcome water logging conditions which are faced in rainy seasons.
- There should be good water supply to the site selected.
- The power supply must be continuous.
Layer breeds used for poultry farming in India:
Now we are going to provide different types of Chicken Layers In India. By breeding these chicken varieties you can able to produce more Eggs in Layer Chicken Poultry Farm. Some breeds are used for the dual purpose like for production of meat and for production of eggs.
- Plymouth Rock Chicken
- Rhode Island Red
- Leghorn Chicken
- Sussex Chicken
- Orphington Chicken
- Silkie Chicken
- Araucana Chicken
Layer poultry farming systems in India: There are three types of Layer poultry farming systems which suits the environmental conditions in India.
- Extensive farming system
- Intensive farming system
- Semi-Intensive farming system
Semi-Intensive Farming System:
- It’s also known as a backyard poultry farming system.
- In this system of poultry farming, the birds are halfway rare in houses and halfway reared on the nearby ground near the house premises.
- Birds are confined to house premises in the night times and also given access to runs.
- Stocking density rate is at an average rate of 650 to 750 birds per hectare.
- The feeding and watering management is provided at the owner houses.
- This system of farming mostly practices at countryside regions in India.
Extensive Farming System:
Extensive type of poultry farming system includes the use of small inputs of labor, capital and other utilities relatively to the area of farming.
- The birds are kept in free-range fo complete production cycle.
- The area of farming is relatively abundant that the bird population density.
- It is highly capital intensive and not labor intensive.
- There is a requirement of less labor due to less bird population.
- However, the unit area production is relatively less when compared to another type of Layer poultry farming systems.
Intensive Farming System:
- Poultry birds are completely confined to the poultry house or shed which constructed with cement and wire netting.
- It’s the most efficient and convenient method of Layer poultry framing system.
- This is the only method of poultry farming system where an entrepreneur is ready to establish a startup business of poultry farming.
- It includes construction of the shed, feed management, water management, disease management etc. All these are the intensive practices in order to gain higher margins of income.
Construction of Shed/housing for Chickens Design:
Design of the shed for chickens is constructed in such a way that there should be proper ventilation and aeration within the shed.
- There should be the proper movement of airflow within the shed.
- In deep litter system type of shed, construction space should be provided in such a way that one square foot is allotted for each bird.
- The length of the shed should be constructed in East-West direction in order to make an easy movement of natural air within the shed.
Cost of Shed In Layer Poultry Farm:
For the construction of poulet shed for Layer chicken, try to make it construct at a low price. This will help to save the money which you can use it for the purpose of any other requirements of the business establishment. Hence make sure you do not waste more money to Start Layer Poultry Farm.
Management In Layer Poultry Farm:
- Proper management of the poultry Layer chicken shed is to be done to increase the meat productivity.
Parameters Considered for Proper Management of Layer Chicken Poultry Farming
- Housing/Shed Preparation Before Chicks Arrival:
- Management of Proper supply of water through the pipeline within the shed.
- Spraying of disinfectants at frequent intervals is advisable.
- Remove the litter of the previously flock completely.
- Fumigation within the shed is necessary using various chemical sanitizers and disinfectants.
Breed selection In Poultry Layer Chicken Farming:
- You can select any Breed which totally depends on the locality and area.
- You have to select One-day-old chicks for your poultry.
Ventilation and Lightning:
- The construction of wire mesh on both sides of the shed is very important. Since it provides cross ventilation and proper air flow within the shed.
- Furthermore, continuous lighting is best for the poultry all day and night using electric bulbs. It is even more essential during the night times from the day one to an age of flock till marketing. Hence Ventilation plays an important role to Start Layer Poultry Farm.
Litter management In Poultry Layer Chicken farming:
- Proper litter management is essential for the poultry shed to increase the meat production of the flock.
- Either rice husk, or straw of wheat, sawdust is most common littering material depending on the availability within the area of poultry shed.
- Usage of Fresh litter is best for every new batch of birds flock.
- You have to remove the Old litter for a new back. While you can use that old litter as manure for plants. Hence keep this point in mind before you Start Layer Poultry Farm.
Feed Mangement In Poultry Layer Chicken Farming:
- Feeding management of Layer chicken plays a major and crucial role in poultry chicken farming.
- Feed management is the major cost of inputs in Layer chicken production.
- Feed management has the direct effect on the meat productivity of the poultry birds.
- For effective commercial poultry production, feeding management is an important consideration.
- Improper feeding management leads to susceptibility of the flock to diseases caused by mineral and nutrient disorders.
- So, feed management plays a major role in poultry production. Hence give more preference to it when you Start Layer Poultry Farm.
Types of Feed For Poultry Flock:
- For birds between age 1 and 10 days pre-starter
- Starter Feed is for birds of age 11 to 22 days
- While the finisher is for birds of age 23 – 45 days or till marketing.
Use and application of Effective Microorganism (EM) liquid:
- EM liquid is a brown color liquid which is helpful for better Layer production.
- The preparation of this Effective Microorganism (EM) liquid is from various strains of beneficial microbes that grow in the country.
- Effective Microorganism (EM) liquid helps in maintaining healthy condition of the birds in the flock.
- The Effective Microorganism (EM) liquid helps in gaining body weight of the birds.
- Effective Microorganism (EM) liquid also helps in maintaining shed free from flies, ticks, and diseases.
- You have to apply this Effective Microorganism (EM) liquid along with the feed in gms per kg feed and with feeding water.
- You have to take care that the Effective Microorganism (EM) liquid should not mix with any disinfectants and antibiotics. When it mixes while giving to the Chickens, it causes disruption in the growth of the Chickens. You should have this liquid in case you are going to Start Layer Poultry Farm.
EM with Layer feed:
- Age of birds EM(gm) per Feed (kg)
- 1-8 days 30
- 9-15 days 20
- 16 days onwards 10
EM with feeding water:
- Age of birds EM (ml) per Lt water
- 1-14 days 1ml
- 14 days onwards 0.5ml
Biosecurity Measures During Poultry Chicken Farming:
- Proper fencing of the farm
- One has to maintain proper sanitation facilities in the nearby vicinities of the chicken farm.
- Limiting the entry of visitors into the farm.
- Disposal of dead and disease infected birds far away from the farm and burying them.
- Disinfection of the shed and tools used in the farm at regular intervals of time.
Disease Management In Layer Poultry Farm:
- Poultry birds are highly susceptible to various types of disease.
- Disease management plays a major role in commercial Layer chicken production.
- Disease like Bacterial, viral and fungal disease attacks the Layer chicken from day 1 to till marketing.
- Bacterial diseases like pullorum and cholera are the important disease that you have to take care of.
- Viral diseases include Gumboroo, marks, chicken pox, plague, new castle etc., are major diseases.
- The Fungal diseases which attack the Chickens are thrash, mycotoxicoses etc.
- Proper care at regular intervals of time to control the diseases is very essential. Proper guidance from a veterinary doctor to diagnosis the Layer poultry farm at regular intervals of time will help you a lot.
- Parasitic diseases like Mycoplasmosis, worms, aspergillosis, colibacillosis, coccidiosis are another parasitic diseases that will attack Poultry.
- Malnutrition diseases are also prevailing in Poultry due to deficiency of minerals and nutrients in the feed of Layer poultry birds.
- Minerals and nutrients play an important role in the growth and development of Layer birds. Deficiency of these minerals and nutrients causes the sick and unhealthy life of Layer poultry birds.
- Although diseases like egg bound and cannibalism attack poultry birds but not specifically Layer chickens.
Loans and Subsidies In Layer Chicken Poultry Farming:
Now we are going to provide some important information Loans and Subsidies in Layer Chicken Poultry Farm. These are very important to Start Layer Poultry Farm in India.
- Subsidy and loans are being provided by the Government of India (GoI) in order encourage the establishment of poultry farming in India.
- The Government of India has launched a new scheme namely Poultry Venture Capital Fund Scheme (PVCFS). NABARD is promoting this Poultry Venture Capital Fund scheme PVCFS and Ministry of Micro, Small, and medium enterprise (MSME) in order to encourage the entrepreneurship and
employment opportunities in rural and backward areas across the country.
- Poultry is an important role playing agricultural business sector as in India eggs and meat are the cheap source of proteins and vitamins.
- Eggs are being the important ingredient for morning breakfast in many families.
- People across India accept Layer meat or chicken meat in most of the families as it doesn’t have religious taboos like beef and pork.
- Overall, poultry sector appears to be a good opinion for someone who wants to start a new company in India with less feedback and investment.
Poultry Venture Capital Fund Scheme PVCFS Scheme:
- Financial assistance for poultry farm establishment is been provided by the government of India under this scheme.
- To avail this scheme for the establishment of a poultry farm, a startup entrepreneur should first avail a bank loan from a nationalized bank and recommended banks.
- NABARD will bear the 25% of the loan while there is a 33% in case of SC & ST categories.
- In simple words, NABARD will back up 25% -33% of the total investment.
- In order to avail the scheme, 40% of the outlay cost is available in the form of bank loan.
- When an outlay cost is INR 5 lakhs, for example, bank loans have to be 2 lakhs.
- To get loans more than 1 lakh, 10% of the total outlay cost should be born by the startup entrepreneur.
Cost of establishment of a Layer poultry farm with 500 birds. Cost of Poultry farm in India:
- We have estimated the total cost of the farm with 500 birds below.
- While the land requirement varies from breed to breed, however on an average 1sq.ft. is necessary for 1 bird.
- Poultry farm income in India widely depends upon all the management practices. They include disease management, feed and water management, vaccination and diagnosis of the flock at regular intervals.
A) Capital Expenditure Rate Estimated cost:
- Cost of construction of one no. brooder shed and grower shed net with bricks and cement over 500 sq ft. area Rs 90 per bird 45000
- Cost of poultry equipment like water brooder, feeder for chicks and others Rs 15 per bird 7500
- Furthermore, Cost of electricity consumption, administration, and unforeseen expenses Rs 2.50 per bird 1750
- Cost of electrification of 4% civil work for poultry shed establishment 3000
B) Recurring expenditure:
- Cost of Vencobb day old chicks Rs 40 per bird, then for 500 birds it is rs. 20000
- Cost of feeds like starters and finishers Rs 20 per kg Rs. 10000
- While Cost of manual labor, electricity, vaccines, medicines, insurance and miscellaneous 3%, its Rs. 3000
Project cost A + B, therefore total cost for establishment of Layer chicken poultry farm with 500 birds is around Rs. 90000
Notice: Costs and profits however also depend upon Layer poultry farm management, quantity and quality of the feed provided. While disease management, vaccinations are other factors to Start Layer Poultry Farm.
Marketing of Chicken Poultry Layer Chicken Farming:
- Marketing of the poultry birds is marketing at the nearby market yard or poultry dealers.
- The door to door delivery is also one of the options which depend on the locality.
- Furthermore, the price of an end product Layer bird depends on the weight of the bird, the weight of the bird will be around 1.7 to 2.5 kg.
- While the value of Kg meat however varies.
- If all the management practices are effective to Start Layer Poultry Farm, the startup entrepreneur will get higher margins.
With the above things we hope that you have got how to Start Layer Poultry Farm. Furthermore, if you having any doubts regarding this Process to Start Layer Poultry Farm, then you can comment on the comment box.